Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

I hope you have a New Year full of God's amazing Grace.



I made a different version of Hoppin' John for dinner, complete with Black eye peas, rice, and collards. At the last minute I added Sauerkraut as a side...not a good thing to spring on your family who has never eaten it! LOL (I like it)


Menu:

Spicy Black-Eyed Peas and Rice (with Ground Turkey)

Homemade cornbread, from scratch

Steamed collards

Sauerkraut (won't do that again from a can!)



Spicy Black-Eyed Peas and Rice

by JeriBinNC (www.recipezaar.com)

2 C. cooked brown rice

1/2 bell pepper, chopped (saute first)

1/2 tsp. Oregano

1/2 tsp. Rosemary

1/4 salt (opt.)

1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper

1 med. onion chopoped

1 garlic clove, minced

1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice

1 cup tomato sauce

1 (15 oz) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained

1. Mix all ingredients together in a large skillet.

2. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

3. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 min our until heated

4. This is a versitle recipe, feel free to use different seasonings or beans.

I added some ground turkey (we don't eat pork), used dry beans that I had already cooked, and also used some fresh Rosemary that's in our kitchen window.


God's peace,

Mrs. Dee Peterson

1 comment:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I must say, I have never had black-eyed peas, but the recipe sounds good. Hope all is well, and peace prevails over your recent decisions!