Tuesday, June 02, 2020

Anniversary Camp trip

Hello Ladies~

We just got back from a little 3 day camp trip for our anniversary.  Since we have been back in Colorado for a few years, we have always tried to go on that weekend because "way back when", this same campground was our "honeymoon".

We couldn't afford anything. We even borrow the tent and sleeping bags from my in-laws. Thankfully today, we no longer sleep on the ground (it takes to long to try to get up!) and we have a small camper.  I wanted to share a few fun pictures and a couple "camp" sweets we like.
Here is our little camper with an attached screen room, helps keep bugs out!
Camping on the river. It's so mezmerizing to watch. I realized, it flows not matter the time of day. Unlike God's creatures  that sing in the morning and are quiet in the evening.
My husband's morning helper. He was right above the fire and talked to us every morning.

I have learned, just because you are camping doesn't mean you have to stink, dress like a man, or not enjoy some luxuries - like a camper that smells heavenly from lavender, lemon and peppermint (this combo helps greatly with allergies).

An afternoon downpour. Much needed but left Mr. P scrambling to keep water from pooling on the screened room door.

"Camp cookies" - aka Chocolate chip cookies (g/f, d/f, sugar free too) see recipe below.


Sorry these are sideways, but this is a favorite, at least for me.  I used to be a Girl Scout leader when we lived in Okinawa years ago. It was there I learned about the baked bananas. Slice a banana and stuff it with Chocolate chips and, if desired, marshmallows (I don't like marshmallows).

Next, wrap in foil, but I add parchment so the foil is touching the banana directly.

After 20-30 min over the side of a camp fire, or 375 in the oven, unwrap and scoop out the warm melted banana. It is very tasty.


Now for the "Camp Cookies" recipe. You know they really are not camp cookies, but it's fun to call them that. I have been gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free for about 18 years. These are the best cookies I have made. I really think the butter is the key. They are crunchy not cake-like.

Chocolate Chip Cookies (gluten-free, sugar-free)  - from Heavenly Organics
1 1/2 c. Flour (I use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose)
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. chocolate chips

Oven at 300.  
Mix: flour, soda, salt in a small bowl.
Blend butter and honey. Add flour mix.
Add chocolate chips.
Cover with plastic wrapped let sit in frig for 30 min (key! don't omit)
Scoop out spoonfuls on parchment and bake 20 min.
Cool.

Make tea and enjoy your treat.

Have a lovely afternoon.

Wishing you God's peace,
Mrs. Peterson


No comments: