Tuesday, June 30, 2020

"My" cows


Meet "my"cows!

Hello ladies,

I thought I'd share something dear to me, only because they come around once a year for a few weeks then they are gone.

"My" cows.
The herd to the right.

And to the left. There are many this year!

Our home backs a very large ranch and I get the wonderful privilege of seeing and watching these cows, but don't have to tend to them.   Usually "we have" about 150 - 200, but this year far exceeded that.  And we also had a few bulls in the mix. That is very unusual too.

It is just mesmerizing for us when we sit on our front porch that faces north and watch them move.
They move a little bit here and a little bit there. Not in a hurry, usually.

Then there are the bulls. Three of them, head to head, kicking up dirt and going in circles. There was always 2 or 3 little ones running to see "what is going on".  All the "ladies"...minding their own business eating. Probably thinking "oh, there they go again. Trying to see who is the head honcho!"

Husband talking with the little ones. There is a fence there, but just barely able to see it. I can hardly imagine taking care of a place like that, or the cost!
So I took a few pictures hoping to share. My husband had to go tend to the pipes for our water for the pastures.  We get water every 2 weeks and use the white irrigation pipe to get the water down to our pasture and yard.  There was a little guy so curious and he stayed close enough so my husband bent down to talk to him. So cute!

The light grey one here is the one I call "my mama cow". She has been with the herd for at least 4 years.  I always hope we can adopt her, though I know nothing about cows other than they shouldn't be left in the rain storms and snow! And they all deserve a name other than "steak"! I'm often corrected in this slight misunderstanding from the local ranchers and neighbors whose family raise cows. They still don't see my point.

Needless to say I get the eye roll each year when I speak of adopting "mama cow".  He says he doesn't want to rescue ME from the rain storm or snow trying to take care of the cows! So, no cows are in my future. Except the ones the ranch so kindly lets into this part of their pastures for 3-4 weeks a year.

Oh well.  Probably a good thing.  I don't like stinky things, flies or bugs.

Have a great week.

Peace be with you,
Dee

2 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thank you for sharing 'your' cows with us. I always love seeing cows and get excited when I see them. They are so peaceful, minding their own business, chewing their cud, switching their tails. There used to be a lot of farms down here, but now farmland is filled with housing projects and condos. You have to drive out into the middle of the state to see any these days, so your post was a treat.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Homemaker's Heart said...

Hello FlowerLady Lorraine, you describe them to a "T". I grew up in the city, so having cows here just tickles me. I'm so glad to share with you and that you enjoyed seeing them. They have moved on to a pasture that is to far away to see now, but they will be back someday. For now, we have 2 foxes living in my neighbors culvert. I'm trying to get pictures but they aren't very cooperative.