Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Spring is here!

Oh how I enjoy so many people writing about the joys of Spring finally here. Especially after a winter with a LOT of snow!  I will share pictures of here in Colorado.

Max and I made a goofy snowman on our morning walk.

Snow in front of our little country cottage.

Max is grateful to run on the paths made by my husband with the snowblower.

Red Mountain Pass was closed for a couple weeks due to all the snow, but thanks to such hard working fella's  the pass is finally open and Ouray and Silverton can get their much needed supplies. Ever so slowly!
A female Junco!  She was so soft looking and lovely.
Here, I am enjoying the birds. In the winter we had many Junco's that come with the snow and leave with the snow. Funny little guys & gals.


I know Spring is finally here too when the sun suddenly shifts from low in the sky to high.  It goes from the far South to directly East. My heart gets excited each time the sun rises and I suddenly see the shift.

Now with the melt off, the Red Winged black birds are back.  I have such mixed feelings about them, they are noisy and aggressive.  But our little Flicka has no fear.  The black birds do when I run out of the house swinging a towel hooting and hollering! Yes it is quite the sight.

Funny though, the sparrows and finches stay put. It's like they know I'm trying to chase off the obnoxious ones.

My husband finished up the outside prep work last weekend. Spreading seed, taking down them manger that was buried in snow, taking down the white picket fences we had up to keep the deer from eating the bird food.  Oh what a journey that was before the snow got deep.

Today, the Meadow Larks are out singing. That is a sure sign of Spring, along with our Aspens blooming.  So exciting!

I look forward to seeing the grass finally come up and the temperature just a bit more.  We are still in the 30's in the morning, still cold enough I need my long winter coat to take Max for a walk.



Happy Spring!

D

2 comments:

Debbie Harris said...

Your place is a lot like ours right now, lots of snow that is yet to melt.
Our snow banks are still nearly 5 feet tall, it is amazing to me, and April can be a snowy month for us here in the Rocky mountains of Colorado.
I saw 4 robins yesterday, poor things, there's hardly anywhere for them to find nesting material.

Your birthday sleigh ride looked like a real treat, but yes, cold looking.
We have a stable near us that does sleigh rides in the winter and horse back rides in the summer.
The land was owned by a gentleman who homesteaded here all his life, he passed away.

Have a beautiful rest of your day~
Debbie

Homemaker's Heart said...

Dear Debbie~ Happy Fall! I hope that made you laugh. I'm so sorry, I just discovered Blogger doesn't automatically send me the email saying there is a comment awaiting like they used to.

Winter went quite late didn't it. And summer seemed much to short. Today we were at 33 this morning. It was just last night that I commented to my husband that this is the lastest in the season that we haven't had a fire yet. After last winter we stocked 3 cords of wood excepting another snowy season. We shall see.

We had a summer of wasps. I think they were all down here in southern Colorado this past season.

It's good to hear from you, I hope you and your daughter are doing well. I believe we did a Tea Exchange a few years ago.

God's blessings to you,
Dee