Thursday, January 28, 2010

Questions about what I eat

Coming to my home so I can cook you a meal? Most likely you will not find canned goods, prepared or frozen (except vegies) or packaged foods.

I have many people that when they hear of the way I cook say "why go to all that trouble?" Well, 1st my health, 2nd it's the way God made our food...not the way man says it should be for "convienence". Several years ago I found out I was intolerant to dairy and wheat (gluten), though I am not celiac, and made the necessary changes. A couple years later my health still wasn't up to par for me, so being an autodidact, I read and learned and finally the Lord opened up the door about sugar. Ha! the key to my health. I cut out sugar as well and my health got better.

I used to cook 2 meals, per meal. So, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners. That was short lived. I told my family that I loved them, but I just couldn't do this. So they could eat what I make or make their own. We did that for a while too. Then slowly the things I was making smelled yummy, and my family even ventured into tasting some new things. Today I only cook 1 of each, except breakfast. I don't like cold cereal (even though there are things I can eat). So I prefer to cook up some buckwheat or millet, sometimes it's butternut squash or acorn squash cooked up and made into a hot cereal.

People ALWAYS say, "good grief what DO you eat." Meat, sweet potatoes, beans, rice, oats, buckwheat, millet, vegies, green apples, and fuji apples, yogurt, sauerkraut, almond milk, lots of water, cranberry juice (concentrate only) goats cheese sometimes as a treat, homemade coconut macaroons, spiced walnut cookies, baked apples, should I keep going? Does it look like I starve!? No, I have just found a way to eat what God gave us before it is pre-packaged.

Since I often get questions, online and in person, about providing ideas I have decided to add meals and recipes if requested to the In the Kitchen link. I thought about starting another blog, but that's too much work. My life is based on Keep It Simple. Speaking of, my rambling ugh! Oh well.

So here is what I had for lunch Monday:


Organic ground buffalo meat, cooked up with some onion and peas. Lightly drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with a bit of salt and peppe. On the side is garbonzo beans, or as we call them "ju ju beans"...don't ask, sprinkled with a southern barbeque seasoning called Butt Rub (no sugar in this great little seasoning!) and my reverse osmosis water. Fancy, no. Took along time, um about 20 minutes. Maybe 15.

No sugar, no wheat, no dairy and not processed! The garbanzo beans are soaked overnight and cooked in my crock all day. I don't have to do a thing but sort, rinse, soak. Then in the morning rinse and put in my crockpot on low for the day. Before dinner, rinse, separate into 2 - 3containers and off to the freezer. Equivalant to 3 cans!

You can do this! Pick one meal you would like to try and cook with out processed or sugary foods. If you already cook this way, care to share?

Wishing you a warm day from freezing, windy Ohio!

Dee

No comments: